Tuesday 20 January 2015

A Brief Guide on Collecting Vintage Girl Scout Memorabilia


Something that not a lot of my friends know about me is that I have a small collection of Girl Scout memorabilia. I own a vintage uniform (1949-1951), some pre-1960s scout handbooks and a flashlight. Most of these items have been gifts to me over the years from those close to me who know how much I love Girl Scouts. Since I do love Girl Scout memorabilia, I thought I would put together this short general guide on vintage Girl Scout items.

What should I collect?

Well, that's up to you! I love collecting older handbooks, but there are lots of options. There are vintage patches, pins, camping equipment, uniforms, camera, postcards, magazines, dolls, catalogs and more. One thing that should be noted with collecting this stuff; expect it to be well used and loved. Girl Scout stuff was bought to be used, not put in a box for decades! My favorite handbooks are the ones where the original owners wrote notes and underlined things, it adds so much character and really adds to the value for me.

Where can I find vintage Girl Scout stuff?


Honestly, eBay is the fastest and easiest way to collect Girl Scout memorabilia.  Etsy also has a lot of listings, but they do err on the overpriced side of the spectrum. However Etsy is useful because almost everything listed there under Girl Scout in the vintage section is a nice item, unlike eBay where everything goes. Estate sales/garage sales can also be fruitful if you get lucky, and flea markets and book stores that sell older books can also yield surprising finds.

I have X Girl Scout item, how much can I sell it for?

The short answer, very little. Girl Scout memorabilia is not popular; really for the most part only Girl Scouts collect it because it's sentimental to us. The only time a Girl Scout piece would be worth a lot is if it is REALLY special or from the earliest days of Girl Scouting (like 1912-1919). If you can search it and find one on eBay, it's not special. It doesn't matter if it's in great condition or old or first edition or whatever, it's more than likely not worth much. People are constantly unloading their late grandma's old GS stuff, or are just cleaning out the house and have no attachment to it. 99% of GS stuff is not rare.

However this makes it a buyer's market. For example, with handbooks I never pay more than $20 (even for the 90 year old books!). For uniforms it really depends on how complete the uniform is. Does it have the socks, scarf, belt, or beret? Just use your common sense when deciding your collecting budget. If something really speaks to your heart and you can safely afford it, get it.

What should I do with all of these collectables?

Enjoy them! Use them! Take care of them! I glance through my handbooks when I'm in the mood, and I use my flashlight on a regular basis. I even put on my vintage uniform and prance around in front of the mirror in it (well that was embarrassing to admit). They aren't likely to accrue much in monetary value, so there's no real reason (in my opinion) to let them just sit on a shelf unless that's what you got them for. Use them as a teaching tool for younger scouts to teach them the history of the movement. It's so much more fun to read the information from an old handbook in person or to see a vintage uniform than it is to see pictures and information regurgitated on a PowerPoint. Be a steward of these items for future generations of scouts.

Where should I go if I want to learn more?


I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Girl Scout Collector’s Guide, 2nd Edition by Mary Degenhardt and Judith Kirsch. It is the definitive book on anything Girl Scouts up until 2005. This book is also an excellent tool for teaching GS history if you are willing to whittle it down. It goes over most memorabilia and history in great detail, making it useful for dating uniforms and awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment